Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Birthday Bash(ing)

So I went 0-3 in the NL Tourney's on my birthday... pretty bad beats all around too. Funny how I lose with AQ versus KK, then later double up with K2 and K6, and then get crippled when my KK loses to AQ (89TJ on the board).
UPDATE: rest of the bad beats posted at Kicked In The Junk.

It was alright though, as I eventually made all my buy-in $ back (and then some) playing live, so I pretty much got a free day of Poker. :) Traffic kept me from getting to the 6:00 tourney on time, and after gorging on all the chocolate my kids got me, I skipped out on the midnight tourney and stayed home to play some online and continued to kill!

In retrospect, a year ago I thought I was pretty decent at NL tourneys and always blew it in the ring games. But over the last few months, I can't seem to survive past the first round of a tourney, while my limit game has become much more aggressive and profitable. This really came to light when I hopped in a MTT NL tourney and was out in 10 minutes; and then I played in a Limit tourney and was chip leader throughout. Took two beats at the final table - both times I turned top pair, but I was reverse-dominated and that same Turn gave my opponent Two-pair. The two players I lost those hands to ended up being the final two, and I had to settle for 3rd out of 80.

I used to be too passive, and now I can be too aggressive... I need to find a way to balance the two playing styles or at least keep them separate in my mind so that I can be successful at both... practice practice practice, I guess.