Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I'm Just Too Smart

So last time, I insinuated Tommy Reed was an idiot for folding his set.

I wish I could be that much of an idiot sometimes.

A $10 SnG on Monday night... the first hand I limp in with is JTd; BB min-raises and I make the call. Flop is 5JJ. I manage to get myself all-in and I lose to AJ. Okay, let's try this again... next SnG, the very first hand I get is 99. The flop comes 9TJ. I get a caller so I figure he's paired up or has an 8 or Q for the open-ender. The turn is a blank and I make a large bet to try to push him off but he goes over the top. I call... he didn't need the 8 or the Q because he had KQ for the made hand.

I mope around the house for a bit, then head off to PJ Pockets for the Monday midnight tourney. I'm the 2nd alternate, and it seems everyone is playing tighter than a [insert your own analogy here], 'cause I don't get in until 20 minutes later, already into the 2nd round. I pay my $25, I sit down, post dead, and am dealt KTc in the BB. "Hey, look out, Trouble's here," jokes one of the regulars. I give him a smile and an acknowledging nod as I check to see the flop. The cards fall with a Q and J of Clubs. Flush, open-ender, Royal/straight flush draws. Nice. The Ace or 9 of Clubs would be even nicer. I raise the min-bet put out by the SB and only one LP caller. The turn completes my flush with the 4 of clubs. We both check. A red 4 on the River and I get the rest of my chips in. LP calls... he not only has the Ace of Clubs, but the 9 as well!

From the time I get my name called to the time I pat the table and stand up... less than 2 minutes. The guy who called me Trouble shakes his head in disbelief, "Where you going, man? You just got here!"

Three first-hand bust-outs in the span of 3 hours.

But at least I'm not an idiot player who lays down his Trips and King high flushes!

Actually, in a tournament I played at the Midway a few weeks ago, I did make some "smart" plays and it just didn't pay off. I took my visiting cousin there on a Sunday, not knowing they had just started a new $10 tournament, with up to 3 $10 rebuys. Most everyone just put down the $40 up front. The were full at 40 people, and I got our names in as alternates 20 and 21! We went to the pit to play some BlackJack and get some food, not really expecting to get in, and just waiting for a live game. Almost 45 minutes later, the Floor rushed out and grabbed us and said we were up... there was only a minute or so left in the 3rd round - which was the final round for alternates and rebuys. We both bought in for $30. I catch a couple of nice flops and get some chips, so I don't have to worry about playing a short-stack game right away. I see Pocket 6s in the BB, and UTG goes all-in and gets called, so I easily let 'em go. It's AA versus AT. Nice laydown, I tell myself, that is, until I see the 6 on the flop. Grrr!

Somehow I manage to survive down to the final 2 tables and am still in good chip position. I get AJh in MP - short-stacked UTG goes all-in and I make the decision to call him, but the player right before me instantly goes all-in as well. Calling and losing to him would cripple me so I make the wise move and let it go. That's what the book would say to do, right? Flop is all hearts, and both of the All-ins had nothing but KQ offsuit. GAAAH!

Next thing I know, we're drawing for seats at the final table. Maybe those smart plays did pay off. Right away, I take out two people with KK and become the definitive chip leader. First place is almost $1000, so I vow to sit back and let the other monkeys take each other out. Then I see AA and it's another two All-ins by the time action is around to me. I have to call, right? Or do I make a Reed-iotic play and fold 'em? Of course I'm gonna call! It's JJ and QJ versus my AA. An Ace on the Flop, and I'm already starting to think about where I'm spending the $1000. Get some new DVD box-sets, take the kids to Six Flags, throw some green chips around on the craps table... but runner-runner King and Ten snap me out of my daydream as MY chips are pushed to someone else.

Two more desperation All-ins that I call with the better hand (AK versus 23, and KT versus Q5) both spike their pair and all of a sudden I can't even afford to pay a Big Blind! I'm out in 4th and take home only a measly $200.

That's poker, right? As skillful as you can be, luck is still a factor... getting the good and avoiding the bad. Sometimes you make the right moves, make the perfect plays, and still end up regretting it.