Monday, March 20, 2006

WSOP Freeroll, Take 2!

Seems Saturday wasn't a good day for WSOP Satellites. I didn't make it anywhere as close as JoeSpeaker did, outlasting only half the field of 3000 in the Party WSOP Freeroll. I had vowed to play tight, and thought I was on the path to righteousness when I made the decision to fold JJ to an all-in on the 3rd hand. After an hour into it, I was cruising along just above average when I got moved to a new table, right behind a big stack with about 6x the average.

He used that stack to his advantage, pushing me off pots or calling me all the way down. I don't know why I let it get to me, but I decided I needed to double up through this guy just once. I started limping in with almost anything, hoping to catch a miracle flop. He min-raised when I had a low pocket pair and there was a caller behind so I thought it would be a prime time to push. I did, and unfortunately he could easily afford to call me with Ace-rag. Of course there's never an Ace on the flop when I need it in a race, and yet it gleefully drops for someone else when my tournament life is on the line.

Pitiful. I seem to do fine getting myself to the big game, but then I choke when it's time to play ball. Yea, I qualified again late last night, wading through 3450 others with hardly a worry. I just need to stay in that state of mind and pull a repeat performance come next Saturday.