Monday, March 06, 2006

It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp

Didn't watch much of the Oscars, just had it on in the background, but dammit if that song didn't get stuck in my head! I'm gonna have to make a trip to the video store to picks me up some Hustle and Flow.

First off, the Midway finally reopened last Tuesday. The place was cleaned up - brighter paintjob, new felts, heck, even new bathroom sinks! The poker room was rearranged and they were able to squeeze a fifth table in. Saw some familiar faces in there, both playing and dealing. They had a 4/8 game and a 10/20 game running already! Had we known, we might have brought enough to consider playing in the 10/20, but instead we plopped ourselves onto the 4/8 table for a few hours before getting cleaned out. The comped food was good and Wifey flopped Quads for a $150 payout, so it was a pretty cheap night out. The one thing that was odd was hearing the new dealers calling all of us regulars Sir or Ma'am instead of by name. It didn't quite feel like home yet, but I'm sure a few more sessions and we won't even remember that it had been closed!

Those few more sessions will have to wait though. I'm in the middle of a transitional period, so I need to take a little break from the felt until the dust settles and I see where all my chips fall to rest...

I mentioned a few weeks ago I put up a lame showing during a job interview, but I still got a call-back last week and the 2nd interview went much more swimmingly! It was a lot easier to talk about my personality traits and past management experience than it was to try and spout off the correct UNIX commands at will. The interviewer wrapped it up by saying I was a bit light on experience, but I showed an aptitude for learning and would fit in well with the team... plus, I had two really good internal references and that would be taken heavily into consideration.

I was emailed an application package a few days later on Friday, so I've digitally signed the forms, agreed to the background checks, etc. and submitted my info. So now I just wait for the offer/denial letter. The waiting is stressful, and I'd love to do my relaxing at a Poker table; but I'm trying to be on my best behavior - because you know, the Company has recruiter-spies watching me and would never hire a degenerate gambler! Seriously though, I've put a lot of little things off to the back burner over the past few weeks, pending the outcome of this application. One stress at a time.

Here's a question... how do I go about "resigning"? I've never voluntarily left a job - worked for the family until I left for college. Worked for the college, so my job was up when I graduated. Worked for a dot-com that went bust. Had a contract job that was unexpectedly cut short.

Now I've been with this company for two years and have myself some vacation and sick time built up. I've told a few coworkers about my interviews, and they told me that if it's a go, to use up my sick days and then call in and say I'm not coming back. While that would be fun, I'm not that much of an asshole. I definitely want to be courteous and give 2 week's notice and potentially train my replacement, but I want to make sure I get maximum value for my time and not get screwed on losing out my sick and personal days (like I did with the new calendar year, grrrr).

Any suggestions on how to, or how not to, leave a job would be appreciated. Granted, this is purely hypothetical right now and could just all be for naught... but damn...
♪ it's hard out here for a pimp (you ain't knowin)
When he tryin to get this money for the rent (you ain't knowin) ♪
♪ For the Cadillacs and gas money spent....