Monday, April 11, 2005

Epidemic

Two weeks can go by real quick. Especially when my coworker's newborn son is sick and she's taking an emergency medical leave of absence, leaving me to cover her corner of the cubicle for an unspecified amount of time. Since I work in Export, things are time-critical and have to get done during business hours, meaning I can hardly even get any overtime for my double duty.

Doesn't help when my own daughters are taking turns at home being ill. The 6 yr old caught the creepies just before her Spring Break, so she got to spend her week laying under blankets on the couch watching TV and playing video games. Which is what she probably would have chosen to do anyways, but I wish she could have enjoyed it without being drugged up half the time.

Then the 3 yr old had a fever that spiked after a few days so we took her to the emergency room that evening. After an hour of waiting for the doctor, the fever had come down quite a bit - mostly due to the fact that they overdosed her on the Children's Tylenol and Motrin because the nurse had written her down as 36 Kilograms instead of 36 pounds. Luckily the doctor caught this before writing out the dosage for her antibiotic prescription.

And to top it all off, I just can't seem to win at Poker right now. Just this weekend, my wife and I finally got a chance to go out and play. I was involved to Showdown in a total of 3 pots before I busted out: 55 that flopped a set, AK catching a K, and QQ with all undercards... I rammed and jammed all of them only to lose to runner-runner flushes each time. Not to mention my two tourney attempts, both in which I got crippled thanks to AK versus QQ.

Fortunately my daughters are on the fast track to wellness and just have a few sniffles to get over. I, on the other hand, need someone to write me up a prescription for some winning sessions!