Thursday, March 03, 2005

It's Official

I'm going cold-turkey. No more cards, real or virtual, for the rest of March. Or until I can't stand it anymore - which shouldn't be more than about 5-6 days...

Tuesday night, I saw a few nice hands that missed the flop, and then someone else would take a shot at the pot before I could, or raise me so I that I had to let it go. Round 2 and I have yet to take a pot... blinds are coming around and I have a feeling I'm going to get too short-stacked to try and be aggressive later.

UTG+1, first card is the King of Spades. Okay, maybe this is the hand I make my move. Second card, the King of Clubs. Wow. But as much luck as I have with the Kings (none at all), I consider just limping in and letting go if an Ace flops. But I never have to make that decision as the chip-leader UTG goes all-in and he has me covered.

Why do I keep breaking my own stupid rule? Why? WHY??? I call, as well as the button! UTG has ATh, Button has AKd, and I show my KK. There's a lot of commotion at the table, and I'm up on my feet. Three are Kings out, as well as two Aces. As much as I'm hoping for a 10-high flop, I already know the outcome... an Ace on the flop, a T on the turn, and two seats are open.

My wife actually lasted through the night and took 2nd place for a $175 payout. There was a nice sense of satisfaction when she took out the ATh guy, after chopping with him about 4 times with Ace-rags. She'd never been in a heads-up situation before, so she wasn't as aggressive as I might have been. I kept mouthing to her, "raise it" or "push all-in!" but she wouldn't have it. Fortunately, the other guy wasn't too aggressive either and allowed her to limp in and catch a lot of flops. They were about even when he pushed all-in w/ Q2s and she was tired of the back-n-forth and called w/ K6o. She caught a 6 on the flop, but the River dropped a Queen.

Oh well, that's poker. At least she money'd, unlike her loser-no-more-poker-playin' husband.