Wednesday, March 09, 2005

You've Got To Be Kidding...

I really, really, REALLY should have stopped playing for the month like I said I was going to. I'm such a bad quitter.

I was down at PJ's around midnight to sign in for the 1:30am tourney. Sat down for their 4/8 half-kill game while waiting. Played tight, mucked a couple of winners - 58o for the full house, 74o for the straight, and they were nice pots too because someone would have two pair or a set. But like with the 95c for a flopped Straight Flush, I can't bring myself to fishily play them. And then when I play decent hands like KQ or Ax suited, the board completely misses me.

Then it happens - I see two Red Aces in LP. I raise and the limpers call. Three Spades flop. I bet out on the flop, get to check the turn, and have to call a bet on the river. J5s wins.

Then, four or five hands later, the blinds haven't even gotten around to me yet, I get AcAd. Raise, and get all but one to fold. Flop comes 2 Spades, and can you guess what the Turn was? I lose, again.

I end up placing 4th out of about 25 in the tourney, win double the buy-in, but I'm still in the hole $150 from the live game and those damn Aces.

Today was the first day in about a week that I got a chance to take a lunch... not having to work through it or run errands (like renewing car tabs!). So I swing by the Silver Dollar and settle in for a rack. Again, played tight and spent more time enjoying my comped order of chicken wings. Near the end of the hour, I see those cursed Aces in LP. I raise and the limpers call. Hmm... deja vu. This time though, no flush opportunity and a really raggedy board. But wouldn't you fucking know it, 36 (they were suited!) flopped two pair. How come everytime I flop two-pair against an overpair, the board pairs to give them top-two? I can't get no love.

The guy is a regular, and apologizes and sounds like he's guilty for putting that beat on me, but he's still raking in the chips. I tell him it's okay, that it's the third time in less than 12 hours that I've had AA destroyed.

Then, four or five hands later, the blinds haven't even gotten around to me yet, I get AA. I knew I was going to lose again, but I had to play it. Raise, a few callers. J-high flop. A deuce on the turn gives J2o the win.

Deja fucking-vu? If I was knew I was going to blow that kind of cash, I would have rather spent it at the Deja Vu strip joints!

Twice in 10 minutes beat by flush. Twice in 10 minutes beat by two-pair. I guess I understand the theory behind calling ANYTHING in a 3/6 game. When you catch those lucky boards against "legitimate" pot-building hands, you can really rake it in. But I still cannot bring myself to feel good about playing like that. I don't want to have to buy in two or three times to catch those monster pots that will just break me even. And even if I caught them early, I have a bad track record of not being able to rack up and walk away after just getting started.

*sigh*

Maybe after a few weeks off (seriously!), when I can't resist the urge any longer, I'll come back and be able to play totally fishy. I'll chase all the way to the river, win with something like T3o, and I'll feel damn good about it.

Or maybe I'll just keep losing, again.