Monday, April 25, 2005

Defending My Blind

There's been lots of posts out there about not getting the cards during the WPBT WSOP Satellite... so in that respect, I guess this is an anti-post! I saw every pocket-pair 9-A: 9s flopped a set, Ts and Js were worth the blinds and a limper or two, Qs took out Derek, Aces held up even with 2 Kings on the board, and of course, Ks ran into As and busted me.

I got to show down the great hands, allowing me to make lots of open-raise steals. I even showed a 23o for the heck of it. I tried raising with the Hammer once, but got re-raised all-in... I couldn't do it. :(

But my personal favorite play was K8o in the BB, and it was folded around to the SB who raised. I called, and flop came Axx. SB bet out, and I raised. There was a long pause... time bank went into effect, and finally a Fold! That was the first time I think I've ever consciously and successfully defended my blind with a completely missed flop.

Now it looks like I have to play defense again. I alerted TripJax to the fact that Dragonystic had some choice words about one of his plays; and then I came across some criticsm about one of my plays!

From Big Slick Nuts:

=-=-=-=-=-=

[Temper Tantrum Begins]
Now, I have never, ever, criticized another blogger by name before... and I won't start now (which is why I won't post the hand history). But dude, if you're reading this, you DO NOT re-raise someone that has already called an all-in with K-3o. Re-raising means you think your hand is good enough to isolate - and it WASN'T. Not on any day of the week. Not at that table in this tournament. Not, Not, Not... {BSN stamps his feet and punches the air}

Yes, my AJ would have won the hand and busted someone out. But it isn't nearly strong enough to call an isolation move like that. Instead, Mr. K-3o doubled the other player up.

I probably could have re-raised the all-in to isolate also, but in a winner-take-all event like that I didn't think it was prudent. I wanted the all-in player OUT, but I wasn't strong enough and WANTED to see others call so we could check it down and remove another obstacle to the prize.

I don't know if you're a reader of this blog or not, but you broke my heart. {sniff} Please, please, please tell me what you were thinking??? I mean, if you were first to act, ok, but re-raising???
[TEMPER TANTRUM ENDS]

**********************************
Ok, enough whining. I admit it, I made a mistake in not calling when I would have been getting about 3.5:1 calling the re-raise. But, honest to God, I read KK or AA. Those were the ONLY hands it made sense to make that move with. So, my read that I was, what, a 4:1 dog at best?

Guess, I still had some whining to do. I can't help it, I was in the top 5 at that point, and as you can easily tell, I've been steaming ever since. Just couldn't let it go. I managed to get back where I was in chips, but my heart was pretty much gone.

At least I lasted longer than Mr. K-3o.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'm Mr. K-3o. I'm waiting to see if BSN will post the Hand history (if he has it), so I can properly defend myself. Below was my response on his site, and I've got nothing against having an open discussion about what I did... I admit, it wasn't a world-class play, but it seemed to really strike a nerve!

=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who broke your heart... I'd love to see the hand-history to make sure my story is straight, but if I recall, the all-in raise was pretty small. I had a pretty large stack at that point and only made a minimal raise.

It wasn't meant as an isolation move... for all intents and purposes, you basically limped in, so I was looking to build a sidepot (hence the smallish raise) and try to outplay you for it post-flop. I stole and bluffed with a lot worse hands through-out the tourney, and if you had come on strong I would have let you have it.

As it was, I ended up only against what I figured was a desperation all-in, and you're never that much of an underdog heads-up.

I brought my best game and played my way to the top as well... just had an unlucky hand to bust out in 19th.

No hard feelings? I'll be sending you a dozen roses and a box of chocolates to help ease the pain. ;)

Mr. K3o

=-=-=-=-=-=

Will you take my case, Mr. Cochrane?