Thursday, December 23, 2004

Happy Holidays!

I took an extended lunch break to stop by the mall for some last minute shopping and picked up some things I saw the wife eyeballing last time we were out together.

On the way back, I stopped into a nearby Silver Dollar and took the last seat at the one 3/6 table they had going. It takes an orbit before I get a decent hand: QQ. I was UTG so I just limped in, as the table was raise-happy and I figured I'd let someone else do the dirty work. Oddly, no one raised, but EVERYONE called. Flop comes AAx. Blinds and I check, then MP slams out a bet. Showing strength to hide weakness. Nice. He gets one caller before me, I raise and they both call.

The Turn comes another rag, I check and make myself look prepared for another check-raise, but in reality I was ready to fold if either one bet. They didn't. I had my chips out before the River hit the felt. MP calls and I show the Hilton Sisters. He flashes me a King and mucks.

An old guy to my right was doing a play-by-play commentary on the hand - on the Flop bet: "Ooh he must have the Ace!" And after my raise: "Woah, one of you guys is a liar!" He pats me on the back as I'm raking in the pot, "Damn that was ballsy! Good play!"

I only won 4 or 5 pots in that half-hour, but they were all decent sized and I left with a $60 profit. Not bad for a lunch break... at least it covered the shopping spree!

I'll be enjoying my upcoming 4-day weekend. My family is coming through for a few days as well and I'll be introducing my brothers and cousins to the Midway. They're all between 18 and 21, so they won't be able to play in Vegas (which is where the family is heading off to -- without me -- for New Year's); so I have to make sure they get their gambling fix in at the 18 and up Midway. Of course, they've played online, so this will be their first live table experience. I'll have to stand behind them and smack 'em upside the head everytime they act out of turn! :)

Everyone be safe and have yourself a great Christmas - or if you don't celebrate, at least enjoy the days off!