Friday, September 24, 2004

Take My Wife, Please!

So we're at the Puyallup Fair for a little Karaoke contest they're holding. My wife goes and blows the roof (or tent canopy at least) off and demolishes the competition. That night was just a qualifier, so now she's got a spot in the finals.

Tangent Warning! Shawni's been a vocalist for quite awhile, and has done theater and studio work most of her life, so it was really no big surprise. In fact, we met online in the summer of '96, and after "chatting" for a few weeks, she sent me a demo tape of hers. I played that tape and its 2 songs over and over, and fell in love with a disembodied voice. Well, 8 years, a house, a business, and a couple of kids later, I still love that voice - and the woman behind it. But she's not one that will just blurt out a song on demand... trust me, I've put in many a request. So when there's a chance for me to hear her sing, I'm taking it.

The problem is that the finals she qualified for is on Sunday night. Sunday night is when the Midway is holding their Vegas Freeroll. :( Midway's been tracking player hours since the beginning of the month, and for every twenty hours you rack up (double hours between midnight and 5am!); you get an entry in one of their Sunday night NLHE tourneys. They'll be doing this for 9 weeks, and the winners from each of the Sunday tourneys will face off at the final table in November for a chance at a $4000 Vegas package - airfare, lodging, and $3600 for a seat at a WPT Satellite. Sweet!

Wifey and I agreed to play on alternating Sundays, so that we don't have to try and take each other out. We do plenty of midnight+ sessions, so our hours are up there. She played last week, and this week was supposed to be my turn. But nooooo, she had to go and qualify for a Karaoke final.

Well, on the upside, there's $2000 for first place ($1000/2nd and $500/3rd), so it should be pretty easy money.

Okay, I guess I'll keep her. :)